If you love your lawn chances are you hate dandelions… nevertheless I’m pretty sure this Dandelion Vegan Honey recipe could perhaps convert you?!
This is a wonderful activity to do with children. Give them a basket and ask them to fill it right to the top with dandelion heads. I suggest picking from a field that is not likely to have been sprayed with pesticides or used by dog walkers.
I have seen other recipes for Dandelion Honey that say to pick out the dandelion petals and discard all the green parts otherwise it will leave a bitter taste, I however don’t do this and just pinch the stalk with my finger nails which takes out most of the stem. This is faster, works well and won’t leave it tasting bitter.
- 150g Dandelion heads
- Half an unwaxed organic lemon, cut into slices
- One vanilla pod cut down the middle
- 1 Litre of water
- 250g Organic unrefined Sugar
- Discard the stem and stalk of the flower (see above)
- Place the dandelion heads in a saucepan along with the water, lemon slices and vanilla pod.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, cover with a lid and let sit over night.
- Over a bowl or jug, strain the liquid through a cheesecloth and discard the dandelion heads.
- Place the liquid back into the saucepan and bring it to a gentle boil.
- Gradually add sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer uncovered until it reaches the desired syrupy thickness and drips slowly off a spoon. This will take approximately 2 hours.
- Pour into a warm sterilised jar and leave to cool.
– ENJOY –