Woohoo! It’s Autumn, my favourite time of year, I just love waking up to fresh crisp mornings.
I have been making this vegan ‘Autumn breakfast bowl’ recipe recently. It is a mixture of walnuts, apples and spices. Completely wheat-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free and therefore a great option for a vegan/vegetarian breakfast or accompaniment for a vegan/vegetarian dessert. I would say that it is similar to that of a smoothie but ‘heavier’, more dense, keeping you full for longer! I like to eat it cold, but it is just as enjoyable warmed. However, keep an eye on it when heating, as it can get very hot, very quick.
This recipe is made the night before. So, with breakfast ticked off your to-do list, yon can gain some extra time snuggled up in bed. That is, if the dog doesn’t decide to jump on the bed, joining the cat that has already jumped on the bed and is clawing at your face, claiming neglect and food!.
- 80z Walnuts (soaked for an hour)
- 8oz Prunes (soaked for an hour)
- 3 Apples chopped (No need to peel)
- 1 Banana
- 6 Tbsp Chia seeds
- 1tsp Cinnamon or spice of your choice.
- Place walnuts into a bowl and soak in filtered water for at least an hour. In a separate bowl place the prunes and pour just enough water to cover them and soak for an hour.
- Once soaked, drain the walnuts and place into a blender, along with the prunes and their liquid, apples, banana, chia seeds and blitz. You may need to add a little more water as you go.
- Arrange into dishes and leave overnight in the fridge. Alternatively (if serving warm) pour the mixture into a jug (or saucepan) and keep in the fridge until ready to heat. Top with seasonable blackberries, maple syrup or some local honey.
– Enjoy –