The smell of Earl Grey tea reminds me of my Mama, as far back as I can remember it has always been her choice of a tea blend. With this in mind, I thought what better than to bake her an Earl Grey Cake for Mothers day, finished with a light layer of fresh lemon frosting to perfectly compliment the delicate bergamot flavour of the tea. Try adding lavender or rose petals for a touch of femininity.
This is a delightful soft cake, that is vegan and wheat free.
Fingers crossed a slice will be saved for her number one daughter!?
- 10 oz Self-Raising Wheat Free Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 oz organic Coconut Oil, Melted
- 8 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3 Earl Grey Tea Bags
- 8oz of mixed fruit
- 8ml/220ml of Boiled Water
- 2 Tbsp of icing sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 Unwaxed Organic Lemon
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat Oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 and line a 1lb loaf tin.
- Pour 8fl oz/220ml of boiled water into a jug with 3 Earl Grey tea bags and the mixed fruit. Leave to cool.
- Place the flour, baking powder and zest (reserving some if you wish to garnish the cake) into a mixing bowl and combine.
- Once the tea has cooled remove the tea bags from the jug and add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Combined the wet mix (tea mix) with the flour and baking powder and pour into a prepared loaf tin.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the centre springs back when lightly touched. Leave to cool in the tin before transferring to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile place the icing sugar into a small bowl or a cup and slowly add the lemon juice. You will only need a bout 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, spread over the lemon frosting and garnish with the reserved lemon zest.
- Enjoy with a nice cup of tea and a smile.