This is a lovely tasty simple cake to bake.
I have experimented with both fresh and ground nutmeg and both work well but if you really want that aromatic flavour I would suggest using fresh nutmeg.
Unfortunately my photographs do not do this cake justice as the pistachios really give it a vibrant burst of bright green.
- 5oz (¾ Cups) Unsalted Chopped Pistachio Nuts
- 4oz (1 Cup) Wheat-Free Self-Raising Flour Blend
- 3oz (5/8 Cups) Ground Almonds
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 5oz (1 Cup) Chopped Dried Figs
- 150ml (2/3 Cups) Apple Juice
- 120ml (½ Cups) Melted Coconut or Sunflower Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 5 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- Preheat the Oven to 180c/ Gas Mark 4 and line a baking tin with grease proof paper (I used an 8 inch tin).
- Place the figs in a pan with the apple juice, cover and gently simmer for 5 minutes until soft, then leave to cool.
- Place the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and grated nutmeg into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and fig mixture.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and place into the prepared cake tin.
- Sprinkle with the pistachios and bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin .
- Serve with a nice cup of tea. X