I don’t know about you, but for me this time of year always seems hectic. I’m the person rushing around on Christmas Eve in a flap because yet again I am not organised and ultimately Christmas Day could be ruined because of it.
If you’re anything like me, then I think you’ll appreciate this recipe because you can make it in advance. On the day all you will have to do is add fresh fruit and Ho Ho Ho you’ll have an eye-catching centrepiece dessert that will convince your family that you are in fact a domestic goddess!!!
It’s vegan, refined sugar free and totally delicious. You can adapt this recipe using berries of your choice instead of cranberries. Or leave out the orange if you prefer the chocolate to be plain.
Vegan Chocolate Orange and Cranberry Ice Cream Log
- 1 ½ Oranges
- Zest of 1 Orange
- 340g (1 ½ cups) Cashews
- 240ml (1 cup) of Soya Milk
- 9 Tablespoons Maple syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- 227g (1 cup) Almonds
- 170g (¾ cup) Dates
- 200g fresh or frozen Cranberries
- 57g (¼ cup) Coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons Cocoa powder
- Line a small bread/loaf tin with cling film and set aside.
- Place the cranberries into a saucepan with 5 tablespoons of maple syrup, add a little water and gently simmer for 8-10 minutes. Continue to add more water if needed until you have a sauce like consistently. Then leave to cool.
- Mean while add the cashews and soya milk to a blender and whizz until nearly smooth.
- Halve the cashew mixture and place into separate bowls.
- Layer one: Add the orange zest and juice of 1 orange along with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to one of the cashew mixtures and combine. Pour into the prepared tin and place in the freezer until firm (approximately 30 mins).
- Layer Two: Add half the cooled cranberries to the remaining cashew mix and combine. Pour on top of the orange cashew mixture and place back in the freezer for another 30 minutes.
- Layer Three: In a blender whizz the remaining cranberries with a teaspoon of vanilla essence and pour over the cashew mixture, place back in the freezer.
- Base Layer: In a blender whizz together the almonds and dates. Press onto the cashew ice cream mixture and place back in the freezer. Leave to set for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Chocolate Topping: Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan remove from heat, add the cocoa powder, 2 tablespoon of maple syrup and juice from half an orange, combine and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove the ice cream log from its tin by turning upside down (so the date base is on the bottom) onto a plate. Pour over the chocolate topping and place back in the freezer.
- Garnish with fruit when ready to serve and Merry Christmas!