Cake for breakfast. Sounds a bit weird doesn’t it…
but these tasty bakes are free from wheat, contain no animal fats/vegan, completely sugar free and are packed with vegetables (yes, vegetables) that are high in Vitamin A and C. If that’s not a good enough excuse to eat cake for breakfast, then I don’t know what is!
These little morsels are handy if you need to eat on the go, or serve with a handful of fresh fruit and a nice cuppa for a comforting and wholesome way to start the day.
Wholesome Vegan Breakfast Bakes
- 8oz (1 cup) of grated Carrot
- 8oz (1 cup) of grated Courgette
- 8oz (1 cup) of grated Apple
- 12oz (1½ cup) Wheat-free Self-Raising flour
- 4oz (½ cup) Oat Bran or Oats*
- 4oz (½ cup) Raisins
- 8oz (1 cup) Maple Syrup or Date syrup
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 4oz (½ cup) melted Coconut Oil
- 2oz (¼ cup) Soya milk or water
- Pecans to garnish
* Note: Pure oats and oat bran do not contain gluten, however many companies will state that there is a risk of contamination with wheat. If making for someone with Celiac’s Disease I would recommend using a trusted brand.
- Preheat oven to 190c/Gas Mark 5. Arrange 8 cases onto a muffin tray with 12 cases.
- Grate the carrot, courgette and apple into a large bowl. Add the maple syrup, vanilla extract and melted coconut oil and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl add the wheat free flour, oat bran (or oats), cinnamon, baking powder and raisins then mix.
- Fold the two mixtures together, adding the soya milk (or water) a little at a time. You want a sticky cake mix, if the mixture is too dry just add a little more soya milk.
- Spoon into the prepared cases.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, once cooked leave to cool for a few minutes and transfer to a wire rack to avoid a soggy bottom.