I love Autumn it’s my favourite time of year. The change in colours, the shedding of leaves, the drop in temperature, bonfires, walks in Wellies and chunky knitted jumpers. Picking blackberries, stealing apples (only from my Dad’s orchard.. I promise!) and the harvesting of summer’s treasures.
There’s something magical about it, don’t you think?
With nights becoming noticeably earlier, I wanted to share with you a recipe that will prepare your taste buds for things to come – trust me this cake tastes like Autumn!
So put the kettle on, get cosy and chomp your way through this sugar free beauty.
Gluten & Sugar Free Spiced Apple & Date Cake.
- 9oz Butter melted (or 1/2pint of Sunflower oil)
- 8oz Date Syrup *
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 9oz Wheat-Free Self-raising flour
- 1 Tbsp Mixed Spice
- 2 Large Apples
- Lemon juicer
*Note: If you can’t find date syrup, simply make your own by simmering a handful of dates with approx ½ pint of water for 5-10mins. Blend in a blender and leave to cool.
- Heat Oven Gas 4/180c and line an 8inch cake tin.
- In a bowl mix the melted butter (or sunflower oil) date syrup and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl mix the self-raising flour and mixed spice.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and gently fold in the eggs.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and set aside.
- Cut the apples in half, core and cut into thin slices (rub with a little lemon juice if starting to brown)
- Arrange apple slices on top of the cake mix and bake in the centre of the oven for 40-50mins. (If apples start to burn before cake has cooked, place tin foil over the top)
- Once cooked, glaze with honey or a little date syrup while still warm, then leave to cool in tin.
Serve smothered with soya cream, yoghurt, ice cream or anything you wish. Enjoy x